New to Vote?
Learn some basics about your right to vote
Eligibility criteria to Vote
You are eligible to vote if:
- You are an Indian citizen.
- You are 18 years or older as on 1st January of the year when the electoral rolls are getting prepared.
- You are an Ordinary Resident at your current location i.e. you have been living at your current address for 6 months or longer.
- If you are an NRI holding valid Indian passport, you are eligible to vote
Importance of a Voter id card
- Include your name in the electoral roll if you've got married and changed your surname and place of residence.
- Buy tickets online, such as railway tickets for AC and non-AC classes. It is also essential to have the photo identity card to buy Tatkal tickets.
- Get passports or other identity cards. The election card acts as a proof of identity, age, and place of residence.
Check Status of your Voter id application
- Visit the website of your State Election Commission Office. Once you access the link, you should:
- Select any of the three options: Application ID, Applicant Name, or House Number.
- Select any of the three options: Form 6, Form 8, or Form 8A.
- Click the Search button.
When do I Vote
Once Election Commission of India (ECI) announces the polling dates, all major newspapers and leading media channels disseminate the information. ECI and the state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) also display the polling dates on their websites.