Certain local goals for governance reform were identified on the following criteria:
The goals advocated are:
- Right to information (more...)
- Citizen's Charters (more...)
- Empowerment of local governments
- Empowerment of stake-holders
- Access to school education for all
- Speedy justice through rural courts
- Toilets for every household
Public opinion is mobilized on a large scale though various mass campaigns:
- Signature campaigns
- Public meetings
- Mass media
- Silent marches
- Posters and pamphlets
- Mobilizing stake-holder groups
- In several local offices right to information has been exercised
- 9 Citizen's Charters have been achieved.(more...)
- Sarpanches of gram panchayats and municipalities have been successfully mobilized, and government was forced to partially empower local governments.
- Water Users' Societies (of farmers) and school education committees (of parents) have been given legal recognition.
- State government responded to pressure by launching a large programme of household toilets.
Date: Fri, 06/01/2007 (All day) Tue, 06/16/2009 (All day)